Renewable Energy & Related Training
Washington County Energy Planning
With low median income and a high energy cost burden Washington County is working on alternatives on many fronts including public-private sector planning, private sector investments and innovations, sharing success stories, and exploration of technical and policy solutions.
Energy Retrofit Success Stories
The Town of Milbridge realized enough energy savings to pay half the mortgage on their replacement municipal buildings in the first year of operations. Download the Milbridge Municipal Energy Savings Case Study here.
Planning and research efforts include:
- Washington County Energy Initiative in 2012 including Policy Options for Municipal/County refinement and adoption
- Down East Maine Renewable Energy Working Group: Findings and Recommendations Report in 2014
- Affordable Heat Consortium 2013 and on-going
- Acadian Internship Program in 2011
- Model Ordinances compiled by WCCOG
Private Sector Developments include:
- Ocean Renewable Power Corporation
- Several Wind Farm developments in unorganized territories and municipalities in the county
- Several efforts to establish Wood Pellet manufacturing in Washington County
For more information please contact Judy East